What Is It?
Working with the South East Local Enterprise Partnership (SELEP) we continue to invest in the local skills pipeline and training provision; addressing shortages, future needs and enabling greater quality homes and accelerated delivery by developing a highly skilled workforce.
What Are We Doing?
- Skills evidence base, report and labour forecasting
- Expanding outreach and employer engagement
- Comprehensive secondary school outreach programme
- Construction sector awareness marketing and information campaign to breakdown misconceptions and promote breadth of opportunity
- Influencing curriculum and educational provision including:
- Supporting the development and provision of Town Planning Degree Apprenticeships
- Promoting and supporting Design, Engineer and Construct qualifications in schools
- Investing in future skills provision to support green energy, high quality house deign and modern methods of construction.
- Supporting the bidding for external funding to support the sector including:
- European Funds for an ‘innovation hub’ located in Essex, supporting the SELEP
- Construction Skills Fund, for on-site training hubs
- Supporting and enabling adult entrants by providing pop-up shops to inform those not in education, employment or training and career changers; investing in VR to upskill offenders; enabling Building Heroes to support ex-military servicepersons.
- Working with our FE sector to address tutor shortages
- Acting as gateway for the National Kickstart* scheme and a broker for the Apprenticeship Levy**.
*Kickstart is a national scheme to support businesses help access training focusing on getting young people into employment with a 6 month fully funded work placement. Essex CC is acting as a gateway where employers can come to them to access the support. Any employers interested in the scheme should contact the County at: firstname.lastname@example.org
**For the apprenticeship levy, Essex CC are working with a number of employers who are looking to receive or gift / share some of their levy, making it simpler for employers. For further information please go to the Levy transfer site: http://www.essexalts.co.uk.
Key Links For Further Information
One stop portal for careers, training, job opportunities for individuals, employees and employers – Essex Opportunities – Essex & Southend
Levy Transfer & Kickstart Schemes ECC briefing, 13 Oct 2020
Essex Construction Growth Commission (Mace) Report
The Essex Careers Guide: awaiting new link
Construction Skills: Presentation 15 May 2018